Dr. Seema Sehrawat is a Senior Scientist and Associate professor with 12 years of research experience from Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA with research focus in Biomedical Engineering specifically Brain Metastasis and NeuroVascular Disease Modeling. She is a Professor (Visiting) at the Laboratory for Translational Medicine, Division of Biomedical Engineering, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, affiliated to Harvard Health Science and Technology, HST-MIT, Boston, MA, USA (http://shiladit.bwh.harvard.edu/team/visiting-professors/, firstname.lastname@example.org).
She has published 21 research articles in high impact journals like Blood (IF 15.14), Nature Communications (IF 12.35), PNAS (IF 10.4) , ACS Applied Material & Interfaces (IF 8.1) , Stem Cells Reports (IF~7.5), Cancer and Metastasis Reviews (IF 6.1), Carcinogenesis (IF 5.34), Molecular Biology of the Cell (IF~5) , Biochemical Journal (IF~5) , Journal of Immunology (IF~5), Molecular & Cellular Biochemistry, Gene and Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry. and has obtained independent research funding and grants. Her graduate research work at IISc, Bangalore focussed on Gene Therapy Vehicles for Biomedical Applications. She is a Scientific Advisor at Sporos Therapeutics, a biotechnology company focused on innovative futuristic medicines for solving unmet medical needs. The company focus is centered on the development of Best-in-class approaches to solve the challenges associated with Vaccine Delivery, Next Generation Adjuvants and Cancer BioTherapeutics.
BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING: BRAIN METASTASIS AND NEUROVASCULAR DISEASE MODELING LAB
- Combination Therapy for Breast Cancer associated Brain Metastasis and Tumor Angiogenesis
- Small molecule inhibitors, siRNA, miRNA and CRISPR/CAS9 conjugated Nanomedicine based therapy: In vivo mimic
- Brain Metastasis and Neurovascular Disease models in 3D using Impedance Sensing based Microfluidic Platforms and Chips
- Brain Connectome and Neural Stem cell based therapy
- 3D Bioprinted Platforms and devices for CRISPR/CAS9 based Genome Editing in Brain Stroke treatment
- Proteomic based approach to identify novel targets for Cancer Immunotherapy
- Translational Cancer Research-Nanomedicine based therapy
- Masoom Raza$, Peeyush Prasad$, Pragya Gupta#, Naveen Kumar#, Taruna Sharma, Mandeep Rana, Aaron Goldman*, Seema Sehrawat* (2018). Perspectives on the role of Brain cellular players in cancer associated Brain Metastasis: Translational approach to understand molecular mechanism of tumor progression. Cancer and Metastasis Rev. [Impact factor 6.1].
- Naveen Kumarǂ, Peeyush Prasadǂ, Eshna Jash$, Samruthi Jayasunder$, Itender Singh, Neyaz Alam, Nabendu Murmu, S. P. Somashekhar, Aaron Goldman*, Seema Sehrawat* (2018). cAMP Regulated EPAC1 Supports Microvascular Density, Angiogenic and Metastatic Properties in a Model of Triple Negative Breast Cancer. Carcinogenesis., Jul 5. doi: 10.1093/carcin/bgy090 [Impact factor 5.34].
- Nisha Yadav§, Naveen Kumar§, Peeyush Prasad, Shivani Shirbhate, Seema Sehrawat*, Bimlesh Lochab* (2018). Stable dispersions of covalently tethered polymer improved graphene oxide nanoconjugates as an effective vector for siRNA delivery. ACS Appl Material Interfaces, April 10 [Impact factor 8.1].
- Vijeta Sharma, Nagarjuna Amarnath, Swapnil Shukla, Ayana R, Nisha Yadav, Deepika Kanan, Naveen Kumar, Seema Sehrawat, Soumya Pati, Bimlesh Lochab*, Shailja Singh* (2018). Benzoxazine derivatives of phytophenols show anti-plasmodial activity via sodium homeostasis disruption. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, April 19.
- Naveen Kumarǂ, Peeyush Prasadǂ, Eshna Jash, Megha Saini, Amjad Hussain, Aaron Goldman*, Seema Sehrawat* (2018). Insights into Exchange Factor directly activated by cAMP (EPAC) as potential target for cancer treatment. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, Feb.
- Naveen Kumarǂ, Sonal Guptaǂ, Surbhi Dabral, Shailja Singh*, Seema Sehrawat* (2017). Role of Exchange Protein directly activated by cAMP (EPAC 1) in Breast cancer cell migration and Apoptosis. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, Feb 16. doi: 10.1007/s11010-017-2959-3
- Naveen Kumarǂ, Santanu Hatiǂ, Parthapratim Munshi, Subhabrata Sen, Seema Sehrawat*, Shailja Singh* (2017). A Novel Spiroindoline targets Cell cycle and Migration via modulation of Microtubule Cytoskeleton. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, Feb 17. doi: 10.1007/s11010-016-2932-6
- Kalai Mangai Muthukumarasamy, Kishor L handore, Dipti N Kakade, Madhuri Vikas Shinde, Shashi ranjan, naveen Kumar, Seema Sehrawat, Chetana Sachidanandan, D Drinivasa Reddy (2016). Identification of noreremophilane-based inhibitors of angiogenesis using zebrafish assays. Org. Biomol. Chem., Feb 7;14 (5):1569-78. [Impact factor 3.6].
- Yamicia Connor, Sarah Tekleab, Shyama Nandakumar, Cherelle Walls, Yonatan Tekleabr, Amjad Husain, Or Gadish, Venkata Sabbisetti, Shelley Kaushik, Seema Sehrawat, Ashish Kulkarni, Harold Dvorak, Elazer Edelman, Bruce Zetter, Shiladitya Sengupta (2015). Physical nanoscale conduits-mediated communication between tumor cells and endothelium enables a metastatic hijack. Nature Communications, December 16; 6: 8671. [Impact factor 12.35].
- Raj N, Helen A, Manoj N, Harish G, Thomas V, Singh S, Sehrawat S, Seth S, Nair AS, Grover A, Dhar PK (2015). In silico study of peptide inhibitors against BACE 1. Systems and Synthetic Biology, Jun; 9(1-2):67-72.
- Vipin Thomas, Navya Raj, Deepthi Varughese, Naveen Kumar, Sehrawat S, Abhinav Grover, Shailja Singh, Pawan K. Dhar, Achuthsankar S. Nair (2015). Predicting stable functional peptides from the intergenic space of E. Coli.Systems and Synthetic Biology , May.
- Swati Garg, Shalini Agarwal, Surbhi Dabral, Naveen Kumar, Seema Sehrawat, Shailja Singh. (2015). Visualization and quantification of Plasmodium falciparum intraerythrocytic merozoites.Systems and Synthetic Biology , April.
- Lakshmi Kannan, Katalin Kis-Toth, Kazuhisa Yoshiya, Sehrawat S, Jurandir J. Dalle Lucca, To-Ha Thai, Tanya Mayadas, George C. Tsokos (2013). R-spondin3 protects intestinal tissue from ischemia/reperfusion-induced injury by tightening endothelial cell junctions and preventing vascular leakage. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 Aug 27;110 (35):14348-53 [Impact factor ~10].
- William James Adams, Yuzhi Zhang, Jennifer Cloutier, Pranati Kuchimanchi, Gail Newton, Sehrawat S, William Cameron Aird, Tanya Mayadas Norton, Francis William Luscinskas, and Guillermo García-Cardeña (2013). Generation and Specification of Functional Human Vascular Endothelium Derived from Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells. Published in the inaugural Issue of “Stem Cell Reports” Vol. 1, 105–113, August 6. [Impact factor 7.33].
- Sehrawat Seema, Ernandez T, Cullere X, Komarova Y, Mayadas TN (2011). AKAP9 regulation of microtubule dynamics promotes Epac1 induced endothelial integrin adhesion at cell-cell contacts. Blood, 117(2):708-18. [Impact factor: 15.14
- Alcaide P, Newton G, Auerbach S, Sehrawat Seema, Mayadas TN, Golan DE, Yacono P, Vincent P, Kowamcyzk A, Luscinskas FW (2008). p120-Catenin regulates leukocyte transmigration through an effect on VE-cadherin phosphorylation. Blood. 112(7):2770-9. [Impact factor: 15.14]
- Sehrawat Seema, Cullere X, Patil S, Italiano J Jr, Mayadas TN (2008). Role of Epac1, an exchange factor for Rap GTPases, in endothelial microtubule dynamics and barrier function. Mol Biol Cell. 19(3):1261-70. [Impact factor: 5]
- Sircar M, Bradfield PF, Aurrand-Lions M, Fisg RJ, Alcaide P, Yang L, Newton G, Lamont D, Sehrawat Seema, Mayadas TN, Liang TW, Parkos CA, Imhof BA, Luscinskas FW (2007). Neutrophil transmigration under shear flow conditions in vitro is junctional adhesion molecule-C independent. J Immunol. 178(9):5879-87. [Impact factor: 5]
- Sehrawat S, and Gopinathan, K. P. (2002). Temporal expression profile of late gene expression 4 from Bombyx mori nucleopolyhedrosis virus. Gene 294, 67-75. [Impact factor: 2.34]
- Sehrawat S, Srinivasan, N. and Gopinathan, K. P. (2002). Functional characterization and structural modeling of late gene expression factor 4 from Bombyx mori nucleopolyhedrosis virus. Biochem. J. 368, 159-169. [Impact factor: 5]
- Acharya, Asha, Satyanarayana S, Sehrawat S, Sehgal D, Gopinathan, K. P. (2002) Bombyx mori nucleopolyhedrovirus: Molecular biology and biotechnological applications for large-scale synthesis of recombinant proteins. Current Science. 83 (04). [Impact factor: 0.8]
*Team includes 6 Graduate Students pursuing PhD and 5 Undergraduate Students
*Graduate Students pursuing PhD in my team work on the following areas of research:
Combination Therapy for Breast Cancer associated Brain Metastasis and Tumor Angiogenesis with special focus on Adenosine signalling targeting therapeutics
NeuroVascular Disease Modeling in 3D using Electric Cell-substrate Impedance Sensing based Microfluidic Platforms and Chips
Immunotherapy based approach for Brain Metastasis Therapy
Graduate Student 1. Naveen Kumar
*Novel Molecules regulating cAMP Signaling: Nanomedicine Based Therapy for Breast Cancer associated Brain Metastasis (2013-2018, Thesis submitted)
Graduate Student 2. Peeyush Prasad
*Neurovascular in vivo mimic disease model and Immunotherapy based approach for Brain Metastasis Therapy (2016-2020)
Graduate Number 3. Masoom Raza
Graduate Number 4. Pragya Gupta
Graduate Number 5. Taruna Sharma
Graduate Number 6. Manisha Singh
Novel Silencing RNA conjugated Nanovehicles for targeting Breast Cancer associated Brain Metastasis
Role of Novel Cilostazol derivatives in maintaining Neuroplasticity: Functionalized Nanoparticle based Theranostics
Cytokine Profiler Proteome Array based Immunotherapeutic approach for breast cancer treatment
Geetika Sai Majji
Signaling pathway analysis of T-cells in Immunotherapy based Triple Negative Breast Cancer therapy
Understanding the dynamics of CD44 and CD24 molecular biomarkers on Cancer Stem Cells: NeuroVascular 3D model for Triple Negative Breast Cancer Metastasis therapy.
Analysis of Inflammation Associated Brain Vasculature with focus on exploring the role of Death Receptor 6 (DR6) in cancer metastasis
- Seema Sehrawat. Invited Speaker. Combination Therapy Inspired anti-Angiogenic in vitro approach for Triple Negative Breast Cancer Treatment. 11th Symposium on Frontiers in Biomedical Research, Feb 19-21, 2018, University of Delhi, India
- Yamicia Connor*, Sarah Tekleab, Shyama Nandakumar, Cherelle Walls, Yonatan Tekleab, Amjad Husain, Or Gadish, Venkata Sabbisetti, Shelly Kaushik, Seema Sehrawat, Ashish Kulkarni, Harold Dvorak, Bruce Zetter, Elazer R. Edelman & Shiladitya Sengupta. Physical nanoscale conduit-mediated communication between tumour cells and the endothelium modulates endothelial phenotype. New England Association of Gynecologic Oncologists, June 2, 2017, USA.
- Seema Sehrawat. Invited Speaker, BiTERM, International Conference on Biomaterials, Biodiagnostics, Tissue Engineering, Drug Delivery and Regenerative Medicine, April 15-17, 2016, Center for Biomedical Engineering, IIT, New Delhi, India
- Rahul Majethia, Varun Mishra, Prasad Pathak, Divya Lohani, Debopam Acharya and Seema Sehrawat. Contextual Sensitivity of the Ambient Temperature Sensor in Smartphones. Seventh International Conference on COMmunication Systems and NETworkS (COMSNETS 2015), Jan 6-10, Bangalore, India. Full Conference Paper Accepted
- Seema Sehrawat. Speaker, Role of cAMP signaling in Breast cancer, Harvard-MIT Health Sciences and Technology, October 23, 2015, Cambridge, MA.
- Seema Sehrawat. Third Annual Workshop on "Micro- and Nanotechnologies for Medicine: Emerging Frontiers and Applications", Harvard-MIT Health Sciences and Technology, July 27–July 31, 2015, Cambridge, MA.
- Seema Sehrawat. 250th American Chemical Society Meeting, INNOVATION from Discovery to Application, August 16-20, 2015, Boston, MA.
- Kumar Naveen, Remya Krishnan, Pawan K Dhar, Seema Sehrawat. Non-coding DNA derived Anti-cancer peptides tagged to DARPins: Novel Immuno-modulatory Scaffold therapeutics for effective treatment of Breast Cancer. International conference on Proteomics from Discovery to Function, Dec 7-9, 2014, IIT Mumbai, India. Journal of Protein and Proteomics (Meeting Abstract Supplement).
- Seema Sehrawat. Identification and Characterization of Biomarkers for Breast Cancer involved in regulation of Endothelial Barrier function. Global Biomarkers Consortium - Clinical Approaches to Targeted Technologies”, October 4-6, 2013, Boston, MA, USA.
- Alcaide P, Newton G, Sehrawat S, Mayadas TN, Golan DE, Yacono P, Vincent P, Kowalczyk A, Luscinskas FW. (2008). p120-Catenin regulates leukocyte transmigration through an effect on VE-cadherin phosphorylation. FASEB Journal (Meeting Abstract Supplement), 2007; 329.10
- Sehrawat S, Cullere X, Patel S, Italiano J Jr, Mayadas TN. (2008). Role of Epac1, an exchange factor for Rap GTPases, in endothelial microtubule dynamics and barrier function. FASEB Journal (Meeting Abstract Supplement), 2008; 22; 329.
1. Bio-CARe AWARD, Department of Biotechnology, Government of India
Total Budget-50 lakhs (~80,000 dollars) as Principal Investigator.
Functional dissection of cAMP regulated AKAP9 in Vascular dysfunction: Strategy for treatment of Breast Cancer, 2014-2017, Extendable 2017-2019 with additional budget (3+2 years).
2. Multidisciplinary Collaborative grant with Dr. Debopam Acharya (PI), Department of Computer Science, SNU; IIIT New Delhi and IGDTUW. Funded by Information Technology Research Academy ITRA, Department of Electronics and Information Technology, Govt. Of India (DeitY)
Total Budget ~ 2.6 crores (~400,000 dollars) as one of the Co-Investigators.
HumanSense: Towards context aware sensing, inference and actuation for applications in Energy and Healthcare, 2013-16
3. Collaborative Grant from LSRB, DRDO, Government of India with Dr. Shailja Singh (PI), as a Co-Principal Investigator (Recommended), funding not availed as yet.
Targeting the Signaling Machinery modulating Endothelial Barrier Function: Therapeutic Implications in Cerebral Malaria
21 publications in high impact journals like Blood (IF 15.14), Nature Communications (IF 12.35), PNAS (IF 10.4) , ACS Applied Material & Interfaces (IF 8.1) , Stem Cells Reports (IF~7.5), Cancer and Metastasis Reviews (IF 6.1), Carcinogenesis (IF 5.34), Molecular Biology of the Cell (IF~5) , Biochemical Journal (IF~5) , Journal of Immunology (IF~5), Molecular & Cellular Biochemistry, Gene and Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry.
- Bio-CARe AWARD, Department of Biotechnology, Government of India, 2014-2017
- Talwar Immunology Foundation Award, 2013.
- International Travel Award, Department of Science and Technology, India 2013.
- Senior Research fellowship by Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, Govt. of India through a highly competitive nation-wide examination, 2001.
- Recipient of ECIS Mini Grant by Applied Biophysics. The ECIS mini-grant is aimed at early career scientists who are applying for their first RO1 grant. For a researcher wanting to use ECIS technology to achieve their research goals, Applied BioPhysics provides an ECIS instrument, ECIS arrays, and consultation in order to generate preliminary data to support the applicants RO1 proposal, 2011.
- Awarded the Tata Fund for Protein Homology modelling programme for beginners at EMBL, Germany, 1997.
- Junior Research fellowship by Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, Govt. of India through a highly competitive nation-wide examination (1996-1998).
- Selected for the highly ranked Cambridge Nehru Scholarship (Trinity College). Up to eight scholarships are offered annually in collaboration with the Nehru Trust for Cambridge University for students from India, 1996, Did not Awail.