Dr. Soumya Pati gained her PhD from the University of Delhi & National Institute of Immunology during 2009, in the area of Biomedical Sciences, and got extensive training in reconstitution of hematopoietic system in lethally irradiated host using genetically manipulated hematopoietic stem cells. Following this she joined the Dept.of Neuroscience, School of Medical Sciences, University Sains Malaysia as a postdoctoral fellow and worked in the area involving "isolation and long-term maintenance of embryonic stratial stem cells (ESSCs) from E18 rat embryod to study crucial factors that governs neurogenic poetntial of striatum, also known as "third area in the neurogenesis, or the area where new neurons are born". Her work led to discovery of novel microRNAs crucial for ESSCs maintainance in brain. During her tenure, she recieved many grant awards to support her research work at USM.
In 2011, she joined Baylor College of Medicine, Texas, USA to work on “Detection of Novel Biomarkers in Idiopathic Autism Using Integrative System Biology”. Based on her preliminary findings she received one of the prestigious grant award from Autism Speaks foundation as an independent investigator, USA. During her tenure, she also worked as a visiting fellow for two months in Stanford University to get advanced training in generation and characterization of patient-derived iPSCs.
At present, Dr.Pati's group works in the area of neurological disease modeling, and trying to address many unsolved queries of human brain such as, important players controlling microglial biology and behavior across the human brain ages and factors underlying microglia-dependent neuroinflammation. Her laboratory is also trying to decipher metabolic biomarkers in neural fate specifications of human brain.
Dr.Pati's laboratory also interested in desiging cellular disease models to understand host-pathogen intreractions underlying deadly parasitic diseases such as cerebral malaria and kalazar.
Invited Speaker in “Multiscale Simulations and Mathematical Modelling of Complex Biological Systems MSMM2019” held on Jan 30-Feb 01, 2019 in New Delhi, India. Title of Talk:In Silico Mapping of Metabolome Reveals Novel Metabolomic Signatures in hESC-derived Glutamatergic Neurons.
Invited as National Speaker at World Neurocongress-2017 (WNC-2017), Theme: Neurogenomics and Stem Cell Therapy, organized by Indian academy of neuroscience & Interdisciplinary Brain Research Centre (IBRC), Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, 9 th to 10th December, 2017. Title of talk: Integrated system biology based detection of novel biomarkers in idiopathic autism.
Invited Speaker at National Conference on Recent Trends in Cell & Molecular Biology Research (RTCMBR) on27 & 28 October 2017. Title of talk: CRISPR/Cas9 Gene editing based attenuation of Sphingosine dynamics suggests Sphingosine Kinase-1 as a potential biomarker for idiopathic autism.
Invited speaker by UGC-Human Resource Development Centre, Jawaharlal Nehru University to deliver a lecture in the 10th Orientation Programme conducted on 13th February to 10th March, 2017 at the UGCHRDC, JNU.
Invited Oral presenter during One day symposium on “Emerging Trends in Translational Research in India” (9th April 2016), Designing of Novel Drug targets for Cerebral Malaria. Title of talk: Designing of Novel Drug targets for Cerebral Malaria.
Invited Oral presenter: Soumya Pati, Xu Han, Mirjana Maletic-Savatic, Pathway mapping of transcriptome revealed potential neuronal fate discriminators in human embryonic stem cell derived neural progenitors in 6th Annual Congress of Regenerative Medicine & Stem Cell-2013 (RMSC- 2013), Dalian Hi-tech Industrial Zone, LN 116025, China.
Invited Oral presenter at 2nd World Congress on Cell Science and Stem Cell Research, San Antonio, TX (published as Soumya Pati, Li-hua Ma, Wendy Han, Cemal Karakas and Mirjana Maletic Savatic, J Cell Sci Ther 2012, 3:8).Title of Talk: NMR based metabolomic profiling of human embryonic stem cell derived neurons,
Selected Oral Presenter at UMT 9th International Symposium on Sustainability Science and Management, University of Malaysia, Malaysia (2010 May9th/10th). Title of Talk: Long-term culture of rat embryo derived neural stem cells under conditioned microenvironment: Implications in stem cell fate specifications.
- 2019 Best poster Prize at 7th International Symposium on Current Trends in Drug Discovery Research in CTDDR 2019 held during Feb 20 to 23rd in CDRI, Lucknow.
- 2018 Best Oral Presenter in International Conference on Integrative Chemistry, Biology & Translational Medicine (ICBTM), February 25-26, 2019 at University of Delhi, Delhi, India.
- 2010 Best Oral Presenter, UMT 9th International Symposium on Sustainability Science and Management, University of Malaysia, Malaysia.
- 2003 Best Poster Presentation, 4th annual Symposium on Frontiers in Biomedical Research, University of Delhi.
- 2002 Best Poster Presentation, International Conference, LASTEC Center, Delhi, India.
NATIONAL & INTERNATIONAL GRANT AWARDS:
- 2019-22: Cognitive Scientific Research Initiative Grant, DST (CSRI-DST), (~INR 54 Lakh)
- 2012-14: Meixner Postdoctoral Fellowship in Translational Research, Autism Speaks Foundation, USA, (INR 60 Lakh).
- 2011: AO Spine South East Asian Research Grant Award, South East Asian Spine Society, AOSPINE Asia Pacific, Hong kong INR 5.5 Lakh
- 2010-13: Fundamental Research Grant Award, Ministry of Education, Government of Malaysia, INR 12 Lakh
- 2010-11: Research and Development seed grant award, University of Science, Malaysia, INR 15 Lakh
- 2010: DST Fast Track Young Scientist Award, Department of Science & Technology, New Delhi, INR 17 Lakh